Saturday 20 August 2016

Thin Lizzy

Kinda, sorta, comic art-related. I'm showing my age but I really miss LPs. You'd get a really cool cover with a big bit of art. If you're lucky, it's a gate-fold with something on the inside too? Maybe a lyric sheet or a poster or stickers? And even something unique on the record's label as well? I wasn't really a Lizzy fan when they were popular, but I remember the TV ads and seeing the posters in shops for the Adventures of Thin Lizzy compilation. The art below is provided by Martin Asbury. I pilfered these images from here:



I think the artist who's most remembered for his relationship with Thin Lizzy is Jim Fitzpatrick. In the following series of images you can see the comic influence in his work. I can see some nods to Jack Kirby, or maybe early Barry Smith? Also, some Phillipe Druillet?






Back in the day, a mate of mine had the Chinatown dragon painted on the back of his leather jacket, which looked pretty cool. He did it with Airfix model paints. Being enamel, the paint cracked over time but it gave the image an antiqued look which worked too.




The final image: an unused album cover. You can't get more comic-y than that can you?

2 comments:

  1. Great article, I have shared it on our Facebook page www.facebook.com/limehouselizzy have had the pleasure of meeting Jim Fitzpatrick. Not only a very talented artist, but a very nice chap as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim also produced a weekly comic strip that ran in the Sunday Independent (Irish newspaper) for some months in the late 70s. Stories were set in Gaelic mythology

    ReplyDelete